How to Prepare for the Worst Case Scenario A Guide to Advanced Care Planning

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

新手上路

积分
发表于 2023-12-16 22:28:48 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Advanced Care Planning, establishing what a person’s wishes are should they become so ill or incapacitated that they cannot make those decisions themselves is an important part of modern medicine. Autonomy is a key tenet of medical ethics, and communicating one’s values and wishes in advance aims to preserve patient autonomy, guiding loved ones to make decisions on their behalf and do for them what they would have wanted.

While planning for the worst-case scenario is very important, the prevalence of advanced care planning falls woefully short – only 41% of people over the age of 65 who IEB Pharma hospitalised in 2020 had an established Advanced Care Directive. Ideally discussions around death, dying and one’s wishes in the worst-case scenario should be had well in advance of any acute illness and with the involvement of family and doctors that patients have a long-established therapeutic relationship with. In reality, however, many of these discussions are first initiated in the acute hospital setting, with doctors the patient has just met.

The task of establishing limitations of care is often delegated to junior doctors – often by virtue of senior clinicians having limited time to engage with patients and family members to discuss these issues. As an intern I remember being asked numerous times to complete a resuscitation plan for a patient at the end of the ward round, after the consultant has fled to their overbooked clinic. As an ED doctor the task of establishing limitations of care for sick patients is often delegated to me by the on-call consultant as part of the list of pre-admission jobs, sandwiched in between charting DVT Prophylaxis and ordering an ECHO for the next day.

Your educational experience may be different, but my own instruction on advanced care planning was limited to 1 lecture in medical school – I was not given a roadmap on how to have these difficult conversations, and I had to learn by watching my registrars fumble through them, and later fumble through them myself. Here’s a primer to help you have these conversations when the time comes.

Getting Comfortable with the Uncomfortable.
Having discussions about death and dying, even in the hypothetical space, is incredibly uncomfortable. In modern western society, we are so insulated from death that it has become an abstract concept to many. People die in hospitals, not at home. Not where we can see and hear and touch them. Most laypeople have no concept of what death looks like, and so naturally, it is uncomfortable to think about, let alone plan for.

When initiating discussions about death, dying and limitations of care, it is important to understand the gulf that exists between how we as doctors view death, and the perspectives of our patients and their families. We see dying people or the recently deceased very regularly, and the matter-of-fact way in which we speak about death may be perceived as callous or uncaring by laypeople, particularly the loved ones of the dying person. Acknowledging people’s discomfort and normalising it is important in setting the scene for these discussions. “I understand it can be difficult to talk about things like this, but it’s important that we have these discussions so we can make decisions in the best interest of your mum/dad/sibling” goes a long way to set the scene. Be patient, be kind and take time to explain things carefully. You are there to guide them through this discussion and the decisions that need to be made.

Know what is on offer, know when not to offer it
There are many things we CAN do in the way of life saving and life prolonging treatments. Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as a free lunch, and all interventions come at a cost – discomfort, complications, and long-term physical and psychological effects. No intervention is completely risk free, and as medical professionals we are constantly weighing up risk vs benefits for our patient. Informed consent requires information, and you have to know what you are offering.

Informed is the key word here – templates for advanced care directives often present a “shopping list” where patients tick which interventions they would accept, without detailing all the side effects. Providing information, as well as a calculated assessment of risk vs benefit is our obligation as care providers. The contents of this discussion will vary on a case-by-case basis.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|DiscuzX

GMT+8, 2024-9-24 17:13 , Processed in 0.036556 second(s), 18 queries .